- Courts & Legal
- Clerk's Office
- Marriage License
You need to be able to speak, read and write English. If not, an appointment will be needed so a translator can be arranged. There is no waiting period after the license is issued. The license is valid for only60 days.
You may apply between 8 am to 4 pm. Both must be present to apply.
Who Can Apply
- Indiana residents must apply in the county in which at least one resides. They can get married anywhere in the state.
- Out of state residents must apply in the county in which they plan to be married.
- 18 years olds can get married without their parent's consent.
- 17 years olds must have both parent's consent unless one parent has legal custody. The custodial parent must show proof of legal custody. Parents must also show picture I.D.
- 16 year olds must petition the court for an order waiving the age limit. They must also have parent's consent.
- Indiana Residents: $25
- Residents of any other state: $65
- Both parties must have Certified Copies of their Birth Certificates (in English).
- If they cannot provide Birth Certificates, we will accept a valid Drivers License with the correct address.
- If either person has been Divorced he or she must have a certified copy of their last divorce decree.
- Persons from foreign countries must have both Passports and Visas, as well as the other requirements, including a Birth Certificate. All Documents must be presented in English.
We accept cash, money order, or credit cards. No personal checks. A 3% Convenience fee will be assessed for credit cards, with a $2 minimum fee.
Copy of License
Certified copies of your license are available in the Clerk's Office for $4 (credit card fees apply), or you may request a copy by mail. Please include the maiden name of the bride, the groom's name, the date of the wedding, and a check or money order for the correct fee. Also include a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Send your requests to:
Henry County Clerk
1215 Race Street
New Castle, IN 47362